Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ubay - Self Portraits

I know you said one, but I'm putting in two.



This is me being creepy. I put the camera on a towel on my bookshelf, and aimed it downward. I auto-focused from there, hoping it would focus on something near where I would be sitting. I set the timer, then sat down. I realize I should've had the screen on Facebook or Google. Shot at ISO 400, 1/15 sec exposure at f/4.0



I'm looking at the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways. This is on the way to the Taj Mahal in the back of an autorickshaw. I saw myself in the mirror and thought, "Hey, I can make this work." Shot at ISO 400, 1/400 sec exposure at f/6.3

4 comments:

  1. So you went with the towel technique, huh. It turned out great. I really like the seriousness you are trying to convey about your internet surfing.

    The india shot is great, too. A classic over-the-shoulder-mirror shot that is visually appealing.

    What I might like to see next time is a closer look at your face, I like the lighting in both shots and the subject matter; but it would be nice to see more of your features. I guess you could say the same about my portrait ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only times I thought about this assignment was at night, so that explains the use of lighting. I tried to shoot from above as well, as not to accentuate a second chin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great color in the second shot. To call it a self-portrait makes viewers search for the reason why. I like it when art makes you work for the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not getting creepy from this, but rather serious. You're a busy man working at your computer dammit! I like how you placed the camera above you, it's a great angle.

    The India shot is awesome. There's a lot going on, but it's not overwhelming. I especially love the women in the rickshaw. Great texture with their clothing and the backside of the seat.

    ReplyDelete